Wednesday, February 16, 2011

mama said there'll be days like this...

Well...the lovely flu finally caught us...kicked us in the butt, worked us over, chewed us up and spit us out. After a whole winter of escaping it, we got it. It has been just over two weeks. First the stomach flu, then the horrible cold, then the horrible cold mixed with the stomach flu, then just the lovely cold on it's own once again.


I am sick of bodily functions of every sort. The snot, filthy diapers, washing of bedding in the middle of night...


UGH!!! Fed. Up.


I know it will pass. I know this. But the amount of whining, tears, outbursts, tantrums and frustration from my children wore off on me. 


I know you are to be compassionate with your wee ones when they are sick...but I was sick as well...and for every single time my little guys crawled to me, clung to me, pulled at my pant legs...I wanted to go to my mom and do the same.


I don't get sick all that often. Maybe twice a year. And holy crap, did this one ever hit me hard. It didn't help that my husband was working crazy hours and feeling just as bad. There was literally no down time. Even at night. Poor Jenner was fevered, I was on the phone with HealthLink, I phoned the doctor's office EVERY MORNING to be put on the wait list.


But, we got over it. We ate healthy, drank plenty of fluids, and beat it.


This is an example of how these little men were affected.
I took them to town, (we currently live half hour out, but are moving in to town end of March) so we could visit my grandparents, who are now all in a home. (Heart-breaking to me, but necessary for them)


Picture this, we stroll in to the home, my brother Robin came with us, so I could have an extra hand, and my boys were the centre of attention...which they love. The residents of the home were waving, smiling, and watching the boys. 


We walked down the corridor to go see my grandparents and met them on their way to eat lunch. So, we walked with them back to the cafeteria and sat down. 
Well, the adults sat down. Ellis did not. He proceeded to take of his boots and socks and took off RUNNING down the hall where we just came from. So I handed Jenner to Robin, and ran after him. After finally catching him, I knelt down in front of him and talked sternly to him. He didn't give a rip. He continued to run and scream and laugh. 
I could have throttled that child!! (joking here, remember I like sarcastic humor)
So, off we walk, hand in hand...well, I walked, Ellis hopped and tried to escape my kung fu grip. Once we were closer to the cafeteria I could hear that all too familiar wailing of Jenner. Sigh. He spazzed out once he saw me take off. 


Like, what were all the residents thinking of me and my crazy children at this point!!?? I am certain that hearing aids were being turned down. Women must have been thinking my children would have NEVER acted that way! Men must have been thinking bring that boy over here so I can give him a whippin'!


Then comes lunch. Ellis sat, like a little prince, and ate very nicely. 
Jenner....did not. Since there are no high chairs there, he was on my lap, squirming, twisting, yelling, crying, pushing the spoon away, getting food on me, on him, the table.
My Grandma Clara said "My, he's a busy boy!"
Ya...that usually means your child is CRAZY! Contain him! Do something!


Meanwhile, Sir Ellis finished eating...and went wild. Again. Uncle Robin was awesome and did his best to contain him. But, despite his best efforts, we left. I barely got to eat, but did not care.


We dropped off Uncle Robin and seconds later the boys passed out. Sleeping angels.


I was glad Robin was there with me, it helped me keep my cool. We all know how frustrating this kind of situation can be...the screaming, the running, the whole I'm-not-listening-to-you-mommy! attitude. Oh the attitude. Why, how can such small beings throw down such immense attitudes? Jenner....ten months old...has it perfected!
He can throw it better than anyone!


Exhibit A - Ellis has a toy he wants...


Oh yes, these are the days, my friend...where the simplest little thing can spark a tear. Well, in our case, a meltdown!


I should give these two little men more credit...they are great kids. But daddy is gone to Atlanta for work and will be back late Friday night, just in time for him to snuggle up next to Ellis and sleep for the night. Jenner will wait until Saturday morning to see him. And he will be excited! He loves his daddy...claws at his face, pulls his cheeks, loves. his. daddy. And boy does daddy love him. It's just that they don't get to see him very often...with the long hours he works, and the time that Jenner goes to bed! Their schedules never seem to work!
These two little guys miss their dad so badly, that they just don't know what to do!
Ellis keeps telling me he has do go help daddy with the welding truck, or help daddy wash his work clothes, or he tells me daddy is gone to work and "he be riiiiiiiight back!"


So this lat week, I am going to chalk it up to that. Jesse is gone. They miss him. And they don't know how to tell me, so they act wild. 


They have been going after each other...Ellis pulls at Jenner, Jenner pulls at Ellis...when one is sleeping, the other tries to wake him up. But, when one is sleeping and the other does not wake him up...the one who is awake is playing nicely, peacefully and letting me do my work. Jenner is at the stage where he thinks he doesn't need two naps a day...sometimes if he naps in the morning he won't nap in the afternoon and is very grouchy, and goes to bed at 6pm. Then wakes up at 5am. 


It's a vicious cycle!


One day, I know...all these little grouchy, red, i'm-so-sick-of-this faces will be happy again...just counting down the hours...


Until then...you can laugh at these pictures...because in the end, all we have to do is laugh it off!














No comments:

Post a Comment