Friday, January 28, 2011

the sprouts of my grandparent's roots

My first blog. I have been talking about doing it for years. Literally. Not sure why, but held out until now....because now feels right. It feels as though at this time in my life I have more to say. And if you know me...you know I have a lot to say. I am a lot like my grandmother. Grandma Lil. The mothership of grannies. She is the spunkiest 90 year old woman I have ever met. I hope to be like her. So full of life and fire!
Let me back track a little. 
A few years ago, when I was pregnant with my first child, I wrote a weekly column in our local newspaper. I called it Belly Monologues, and it was a way I could creatively put out to the world (or our town) what I was feeling. What I was going through...what creating another human being was like.
I wanted people to know that I was building a human.
And people knew it. I had readers...I had people come up to me and tell me they loved my column...or that I said too much about certain things regarding pregnancies. The editor had to change a few things here and there, but in my eyes, it wasn't that bad. I like to share. Nope, I LOVE to share! 
We teach our kids to share. It's the right thing to to do. We teach them to share toys. And when we grow older we share our thoughts, our feelings...our love.
When our child's little friend is sitting there crying, we tell our child to go give them a hug, or a toy. We teach them to reach out.
And that is what I am doing now.
And that is what my Grandma Lil does.
She reaches out. She loves to talk. She asks you questions and rarely gives you the chance to answer, because she is telling you some story of someone from somewhere who had a thing. But the point is...through all her talking...she takes the time to stop you in the mall and say "Hello love", in her worn out English accent, and she will reach out. She will hold your arm and always offer a hug. And tell you that she has to go because " 'Arold" is waiting for her. ('Arold being Harold....her loving and adoring husband of 65 plus years)
They met on a blind date before WWII and have been together since. See? She reached out to him! She wasn't going to go on the date, she was embarrassed, but she decided she better...and she reached out to him. They have had an amazing life together. And I love them dearly.


My Grandparents have been my neighbors my whole life...and now my children's' lives thus far. I remember being a small girl playing out in the yard with my sister...and down the hill we could see Grandma in her yard...waving her arms to say hello, then yelling across the corrals to us. And we would yell back so loud our throats would hurt, and Grandma would keep yelling back, asking us what we were doing, were we having fun, could we send dad down to help her out.
We helped Grandpa in the corrals, along with dad and my two brothers...herding cattle this way and that, then back the other way because the gate was shut or the good ol' farm dog Jake chased them the wrong way.


Ahhh, so many good memories. I love the farm. I love Saskatchewan. I feel blessed to be able to give my kids the same upbringing I had...well, very close to, anyways!


I am thankful that my kids have been held, kissed, coddled, spoiled and extremely loved by my grandparents. I am so thankful.
My Grandpa, the Soldier. My Grandma, The War Bride.


They have taught me so much about life. And have given me so much insight. I am excited to pass it on to my babies. So that they too, will be firmly planted, with these strong roots.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Proud of you. Feel like we're starting some sort of fire - can you feel that? It's a good fire. Beautiful post. Can't wait to read more. :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete