Saturday, February 5, 2011

a family comes together

My family is very tightly knit...on both my mother's side and my father's side. If there is every a problem or emergency, we all do our best to help out where and when we can, from where ever we may be at that time.
With Ellis...Summer 2009



A couple weeks ago, my Grandpa, had a mini stroke at home. He has been in very good health over the years, and especially for his age. He will be 90 years old in April. He has been resting in the hospital for the last two weeks, with Grandma by his side, as she has been for over 67 years.

Grandma and Grandpa's wedding, England, Dec 5, 1944














The word to best describe that...

Devotion.

And through all those years, through WWII, through moving to Canada from England, to having to haul water to bathe and cook, to using an outhouse, to buying their first vehicle, getting a phone, having four children...and losing one tragically, to watching their children grow, struggle, learn, succeed...they have been by each other's side.

They are the greatest example of marriage.

A picture I took of Grandpa's old truck
And in this day and age, it is hard...its hard to have face time. And no, not "face time" from an iPhone...I mean FACE. TIME. Being in the presence of another. Talking face to face, holding hands, communicating, laughing, being.

It is rare that my dad's side of the family can all get together. Too rare. 
We have far too much fun together to not BE TOGETHER.
But, with all of our busy schedules, lives away from Lloydminster, and just life, we do our best. 

I am so grateful that we were all together last night. (As was everyone else) It was great. Grandpa, who had a pass from the hospital to come out for a few hours, was relishing in it. Looking around, he sat, with his walker and oxygen near by, and he was beaming. He looked happy.

I don't think anything makes him happier that that. Just seeing us all laugh, the family he created with Grandma...just being together.

We laughed, cried, laughed some more. Had birthday cupcakes for Uncle Den...and laughed while the little kids put icing on their noses. Children are amazing little creatures. They bring out the utmost joy in people. Their laughter rang throughout my brother's house, above all the noise of chatter from the adults...it was great. Perfect!


Cupcake time!




Grandma, taking it all in...very proud

My brother put us all on the spot, and asked us what we were thankful for. I loved hearing what everyone had to say. I suggest you do that at your next family gathering...you'll be surprised at the answers, you'll get to know one another, you'll start talking about the memories you have, it will be heart warming. You will hug, you laugh, and probably poke fun at one another...and that is the whole point. 

We had a family friend come over and take pictures of us, just because we hadn't had a family photo in so long. So long.

We used to get pictures done in front of my parents fireplace on special occasions. We would all awkwardly group together, and someone would take a crooked, almost-in-focus picture of us, and never would we all be looking at the camera at the same time...but hey, we got a family picture! And it would make Grandma happy!

The best family portrait, in my opinion, is the one that Grandpa and Grandma still proudly display in their living room...I believe it was at Charles' Lamb Photography in Lloydminster. And there was a giant wicker chair that cradled Grandma, with her tightly permed hair. Grandpa with his thick-rimmed glasses, which are coming back in style. My sister and I with our feathered hair, my brothers in Bill Cosby style sweaters, my Aunt's with whole 80's look from head to toe, and my cousins Kelly and Tammy...just as awkward as the rest of us...but we didn't care, we were in style at the time! And we were together!

I need to get a copy of that picture. It's fabulous. And embarrassing.

There is no greater thing than family, because like Grandma Lil, family will be there, by your side, rooting you on, holding you up, sometimes knocking you down when you need it, and making you smile.

I would have to say, that I couldn't have been more pleased last night, to be holding my almost-ten-month old, and looking across the room to my almost-ninety-year-old Grandfather.

He's done good over the years, served in the war, married and raised a family, ran a farm, watched his grandchildren grow and have children of their own. He's a very special guy. He's so funny, charming, and strong. He's created a great life for all of us, filled with countless memories, from-the-belly laughs and a few challenging crib games! 










He taught us well. 




We love you Pops!





And can I just add, that Amazing Grace is my favourite song, because of him. I remember him playing it on his guitar when I was little and he would sing, I remember him yodeling too!

But the reason why it's most special, is that the moment you set a baby on his lap, he leans in close and starts humming it to them, and they seem to calm...

It's awesome to watch. And I feel lucky to have had him sing it to both my boys.

Ellis and Papa Harold, Winter 2009



Grandpa's 89th Birthday, April 2010


Some oldies...






2 comments:

  1. Awwww. I actually said that out loud at this:
    "the moment you set a baby on his lap, he leans in close and starts humming it to them".

    Breathtaking. What a legacy. Kudos to you for writing it down, relishing it, and sharing it. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura!

    The picture below that, of Grandpa with Ellis, he is singing it in his ear. I think I have a picture of him with every baby, doing the same thing!
    It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete