Thursday, April 7, 2011

a house becomes our home

We did it! We bought our home. We moved in. And we couldn't be happier. Seriously...I don't know HOW we could get any happier...maybe the lottery? This place feels so good. It's so bright and lovely. I just want to run in it. Well, no, the kids want to run in it! I want to decorate it!!!


From the outside our house is plain-jane and looks somewhat small...but on the inside? This place is like a palace to me!! Before, it was brown inside....blech. Brown, taupe, dirt colours...not my thing! SO I repainted, with the help of great friends and Tim Horton's! It took four days to clean and paint the upper level. 


First of all, the cleanliness of this place was not up to par. Anyone who saw it would have agreed. The previous owners did squat to clean it, which was depressing, because I just wanted to come into a clean, fresh house! After two days of cleaning...washing food off walls, removing the disgusting amounts of dirt from under the stove, fridge and even on the tops of the walls where the ceilings are vaulted, I felt better about it. The carpets were...um, well...I could have puked. They were filthy! So we paid $200 to get them steam cleaned and sanitized. Well worth it! They came out looking two shades lighter! Next time...if we ever buy a used home, it will be in the conditions that the places gets professionally cleaned. Our city has really let that slip. In any other city the houses are be expected to be spotless. And speaking to my friends who have bought and sold, bought and sold...they are. I think Lloydminster needs to step it up. 


Anyways...after the grueling hours of cleaning, came the grueling (but entertaining) hours of painting. We went through countless coffee's and teas from Tim's, and spent time (probably more than we needed) standing around visiting! We got it done! And then, we moved in! My family rocks. And my husband's family rocks...and would have helped IF they lived near us! 


So here we are...in our new home, Jenner in his OWN room and sleeping wonderfully! Ellis keeps saying "I like my new house!" Or when he sees the school bus (which stops right in front of our place) he says "Looooook!!! The Fool bus! I can ride it when I am a beeeeeeg boy! Right mommy!?"
Yes, baby Ellis...you can ride the fool bus. He's so cute.


These two boys have not stopped running! They have adapted incredibly well to our new surroundings! But mu husband...who was born and raised in the city, had a few sleepless nights, worried about whether the doors and windows were locked or not. He is sweet like that. He slept with Ellis the first couple nights...I think daddy needed that more than Ellis!


Slowly but surely we will get this house perfect...to say exactly what we want it to say about us...once I clean the dog poop off our lawn it will be better. Much better.
Did I mention we don't have a dog?


Anyways...here is the onslaught of before and after photos...



Kitchen before

Kitchen after (but before we moved in)


Entrance before

Entrance after

Master Bedroom, partially wall papered


My sister and cousin painting the family room

The kids favourite spot...

The Hideout, under the stairs



Life is good. Our family is happy. We've already had so many laughs in our home and are ready for more!
We are also looking forward to all of the company that is planning to come over the next months. It's going to be awesome!!

Good night. I have a wee man who wants to go to bed.



1 comment:

  1. Well done, Rands! Looks so great. Congrats! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete